Download
We're evolving to serve you better! This current forum has transitioned to read-only mode. For new discussions, support, and engagement, we've moved to GitHub Discussions.

Roadmap Questions – Why no Pages?

The Block Editor is in my opinion much better solution for any people who just want to write blogs based on Publii – it behaves much better than current WYSIWYG editor in many cases (e.g. writing a blog post with code examples). The WYSIWYG editor still will be available as it is a good solution to everybody who needs a full control over post content HTML.

Exactly. But if all that’s needed is a pure Blog there are dozens and dozens of fast, minimal and secure pieces of software already. People writing pure Blogs already have so many, many cheap examples that allow for code highlighting, etc.

What doesn’t exist is a piece of software that allows for the creation of simple Webpages on a static site, to not have to awkwardly work around every single Page being an unlinked Blog Post. <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>No other Visual Editor for building Static Sites exists, to my knowledge.</span>

Simple modifications of Type of Page, like not having Mandatory page titles on every Page because it’s actually a disguised Post.

My concern is not about the lack of a separate UI for Pages, it’s the fact that Publii’s whole strength and draw is it’s ease of use. If something as fundamental as having any page on your Website that ISN’T a Blog Post requires hours of manual workarounds, hacking and kludgy code, this goes against the entire philosophy of usability of the project. Being able to create anything other than a Blog Post with it is such a fundamental feature that I was shocked when I found that Publii DIDN’T allow it.

I’m sure that I’m not the only one scratching his head and wondering why this feature doesn’t exist.

Websites consist of Pages, not usually Posts. Most websites have a dedicated Blog Page, but are centred around Pages.

By implementing in the code the current hard to follow instructions and kludy workarounds that each individual end user has to do, you massively drop the barriers to entry for anybody wanting to build a functional website, opening Publii up to the people who really need it – everybody who can’t code.

I am not dismissing the hard work that has already been put into the Block Editor, but that is improving a feature that already exists very capably in the software, whereas Pages is so fundamental to building any website other than a Generic High Schoolers Code Blog that in my opinion the software wouldn’t be considered even a Beta release without it.

If I was to advocate more effectively for the sooner inclusion of Pages into the software, what would that process look like? I’ve contributed $100+ dollars to the project in the past, switched several developer friends over to using it for simple Projects, but the lack of Pages is holding all of us back. Publii filles such an important niche, it is a worthy project and deserves support, but I feel like lacking this feature is a game-ender.