Download
We're evolving to serve you better! This current forum has transitioned to read-only mode. For new discussions, support, and engagement, we've moved to GitHub Discussions.

Insert/Edit Image and Insert/Edit Gallery will not process 5000 x 5000px image

I am unsure whether this is a bug or by design. There appears to be a consistent issue with Insert/Edit Image and Insert/Edit Gallery where Publii will not process a 5000 x 5000px image. An image is attached below.

Can someone tell me whether there is a maximum file size for images in Publii, or whether they can insert this image using their own version of the software? This effects v.0.38.2 (build 14204).

F_10_French_Alps_001_clean_5000px_Q90
    4828kb file.

The image is now 2560×2560 pixels :/

a 5000×7486 pixel jpg at 14MB did not have any problems here.

Thanks for the feedback t79.

The weird part is once the image is selected to load via Insert/Edit Image or Insert/Edit Gallery, literally nothing happens. There’s no image. And there’s nothing in rendering-errors.log or any other error log.

I will upgrade to the latest version of the software to see if the problem remains.

Upgraded to the latest version, still none of my large black and white images are loading into Publii. And still no error logs.

What’s the best way to proceed to debug this type of issue?

Hi,

Which OS are you using? On Linux only JIMP image resizing engine is available and it is possible that it stucks with such a big image.

I am using MX Linux. A quick search of the JIMP Javascript Github Issues pulls up:

https://github.com/oliver-moran/jimp/issues/948
    <h1>Failure Information (for bugs)</h1>
    <h2>Steps to Reproduce</h2>

• Create an image
    • Try to resize it to 5000×5000
    • Watch it exit silently

That’s a pity. It appears to be a problem with .jpg’s and .gif’s.

What’s Publii’s policy in this case? Are you pushing for a bug fix, or investigating different libraries?

This is problematic if you are selling themes with photographic galleries.

Sorry but in this case the only solution is waiting for a fix in the JIMP library. Currently we have no plans to do additional research  and try to add another library, especially due such edge-case situation. It is too much work and it is a very specific situation.

I host a photo blog with publii, and I really want the high-quality images as the source, mostly raw off the camera type images (24 mb per image). Due to the JIMP issue, I ended up writing a quick shell script to detect image sizes over 2500×2500 and re-scaling them down to 2500×2500 processing. Not a real solution, but a working kludge.  It just uses `file` and `convert` (from imagemagick) to resize the files.